$2.95 a month web hosting

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

This is home, truly... ...



Maybe because this is the last NDP to be performed in our beloved Kallang Stadium, tonight's parade felt extra special. Like a prolonged grand finale, it was rather different from other NDPs I've watched in the sense that the good stuff didn't just come on at the end of everything. While it is undeniably the first time I've managed to catch the NDP live, I've previously watched a preview, and participated in one parade, so the difference does not simply stem from the fact that I'm catching it live this year.

This time round, the fireworks did not just decorate the night sky as a closing bang. Sizzling, dazzling sparkles were set off during several parts of the parade, wowing the crowd with the beauty of its golden contrast against the dark night sky. The one thing that truly touched my heart tonight was the Electrifying SpiRit I felt passing through the entire stadium. When we did the Kallang wave, and conducted the 'cheering competition' between the 'Red and White' team that the stadium was split up into by the mcees... I was amazed at the energy and unified cheers that resounded around the area... I couldn't really tell how loud we were when my sector was doing the cheering, and I was amongst the sea of red and white...but when our cheers were mirrored in the opposite sector, I was surprised at the volume of that cheer- Having been so accustomed to shy s'poreans often reacting to such cries for cheers with a less-than-enthusiastic response, the loudness of the cheers tonight came as a pleasant surprise. And it helped to set my mood for the rest of the parade.

Nearing the end of NDP 06, when it came to the pledge-taking and national anthem singing segment, I was again taken aback- this time at my own reaction. I actually felt real joy and pride rising from deep within me, as I stood amongst my fellow singaporeans, doing what I've been doing ever since primary one... yet this time no longer doing it with the kind of nonchalance-born-out-of-habit as was the case before.

Every live NDP has proven to be an experience to be cherished. Each had its own share of moments to treasure.

A friend of mine remarked during one of the spectacularly-beautiful fireworks moment tonight:
"Being able to set off such fireworks is an indication of how prosperous our country is. We are so blessed!"

Indeed we are. May this stability in terms of our economics and society continue in the many years to come.

Happy birthday, Singapore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home